Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Face to face

So I had my post-partum (sp?) check up today. On a good note, I'm healthy. We can have sex again (whew) and all is well. My uterus has shrunk back to normal size and apparently I have a retroverted uterus (TMI). Who knew? What does that mean for TTC? I read one entry on FF that said that with retroverted uterus, you should do doggy style and lay on your stomach instead. Do you really think that I should do the exact opposite of other recommendations, just because my uterus is tipped? I think that's weird. What the hell, we'll give it a shot.

Anyway, I had made the appointment and had no idea who I would be seeing for the check up. I delivered at UVa (which is a learning hospital and there are all sorts of young docs there who are eager to get experience). I had no idea what to expect. But when the doctor came, it was the same doc who delivered Isaac. I don't know why that struck me, but it was like a whole rush of emotions took me back to that fateful day in January. I guess I didn't expect her because she just happened to a resident on call on the night of delivery. Completely not my normal doctor. But for some reason, I felt a bond with her because of the delivery. I had a few pretty crappy doctors early in the labor process, who had no sympathy to my situation and honestly didn't have the best hands down there. It really hurt when they were checking things during the delivery and this doctor didn't hurt as much. Also, I think she was the only one (out of the fifteen doctors who were there) who was paying attention when Isaac came out. It was all rushed and things were moving so fast. They didn't even have time for the anesthesiologist to get there. Lots of hub-bub, but she was right there and strong for me during the entire delivery.

It was strangely refreshing to see her today, because it gave me a chance to thank her. I never got to see her after they delivered Isaac in January. But in some other ways, I wasn't really ready to travel down that road today. Naive of me, I know. But I feel like I'm travelling in footsteps that I've already walked. Now I'm emotionally exhausted and I still have more work to do here! Ugh.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I, too, have a tipped uterus. I'm told it doesn't mean much, but if it doesn't mean much, why is it even mentioned?

I'm glad to hear everything went well at your appt - that's a huge step forward. Every step is one in the right direction.

Here's to a BFP for you in April! :)