Monday, May 30, 2005

Observations from Central PA

We spent the weekend visiting my father in law in DuBois, PA. This is the hometown of my dear husband. When I visit, sometimes I feel like I'm visiting another planet. I'm not sure what the deal is, maybe because they are in the middle of nowhere....maybe because it is an industrial town that is lagging behind the times...but I feel like they are years behind the current world. Several observations from this weekend:

1. I don't think that a non-smoking section exists in DuBois area restaurants. This could be the restaurants that my FIL visits, but I have had to wash all the clothes that I wore this weekend because they reek of smoke. I am not a smoker and actually hate smoking. I have felt stuffy and congested in my lungs all weekend because of the exposure of this poison. I don't have any friends who smoke, so honestly I am not around it that much. Sorry to those of you who smoke, but I need a non-smoking section!

2. There are a lot of bad perms and bad teeth in DuBois. Enough said.

3. The price of food is amazingly cheap in DuBois. Seriously we ate at least three dinners that were priced under $5. That is unheard of here in Lexington. Also the prices of houses and the price of cars are way below the prices here. I would take that part of PA and run.

___________________________________________

As for everything else, it's been pretty boring here in my little life. I played golf with FIL this weekend. I love golfing. I wish I were better. It was nice to get away from all the hub-ub here. Actually, not just the hub-ub but life in general. It was like a mini-vacation. We didn't really do anything that exciting, but I wasn't at work. That's worth something...right?

I did have to sit through a miserable conversation with DH's step-sister. She is such a gossiper and had to tell FIL all about her husband's brother who got his girlfriend pregnant. The baby is not wanted and it's not a good situation. Why did she persist on continuing to talk about this baby and these people when I showed absolutely no interest? I'm not really sure. I couldn't have been any less thrilled to entertain her gossip. I mean, give me a break for God's sake. Do you really think that I want to listen to your bullshit about babies? Sheez. Not to mention the fact that now I have to mull over the fact that the "exotic dancer" girlfriend manages to get herself knocked up, but I can't even do that when I'm trying. When I did manage to get pg, that got fucked up too. Ugh. I wear myself out.

6 comments:

Susie said...

I spent seven years in Central PA... and I will agree with you, DuBois is really kind of the middle of nowhere. But oh so cheap!

The funniest thing is how they pronounce it. All your readers are probably going "Du-Bwah" in their heads, with the normal French pronunciation. Should we tell them that the correct prononciation for DuBois is "DewBoys"?

Anam Cara said...

Hi Holly

It is actually CD 7 for me too, not 6 like I said in my blog. I forgot today was Monday already! If feels like Sunday because it is a holiday here in the UK too.

Glad you had a nice (if somewhat "back to the future" weekend) in "DewBoys", with the exception of the step-sister. I have no idea when listening to that kind of stuff gets easier. Maybe never.

Lots of love

Amanda said...

Hi Holly. I know what you mean - I'm from a sleepy town too and I call it the town time forgot!

I'm sorry you had to sit through the knocked-up girl story. Ugh. It reminded me of going to by HPTs over the weekend and I was in the aisle with two teenagers, who were all of 16. They can get knocked up but we can't?!?!

Here's hoping the mini-vaca helped you relax and you can start June recharged!

Roxanne said...

Yuck. It's almost funny it's so obnoxious. Almost.....

PA has got to be really in the middle of nowhere if it makes Virginia look sophisticated.....

laura said...

i finally figured out why sometimes i'm okay with seeing or hearing about other people's babies and sometimes it makes me feel like my teeth are disintegrating - i'm good with it when people actually want their children, but when it wasn't planned and they're not especially wanted, it pisses me off so badly. one of my co-workers keeps talking about whatever horrible stories are in the news on any given day about mistreated children, and it makes me want to mistreat her!

Jillian said...

Sometimes it is great to just get a change of scenery even if it isn't Club Med...do they still have those places?

I remember feeling old at 22 living in a town full of 15 year old mothers feeding their babies coke in their bottles. It was so unfair! I guess some things never change with who gets what,but it would be better if it weren't such a lottery.