Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Just a question

What does anyone know about TTC and anti-depressants? I don't want to be THAT girl who is on meds for my problems. But the truth is that I don't know if I'm patient enough to wait for counseling to help. I live in a small town. There aren't many resources here. Maybe I should look into anti-depressants with counseling. I am a true believer in counseling - have used it several times throughout my life. I have found great relief. But part of me doesn't want to face what's really underneath...at least not yet. I just want it all to go away. I know that a pill doesn't make anything go away, but at least to get me through the fog. At any rate, I don't want to hurt any potential child that may be forming inside of me. Any thoughts?

Today is a good day, I have been very productive at work. That always makes me feel good. For some reason, I feel like a weight has been lifted off of me since I told my boss that I wasn't returning next year. I had lunch with my friend A, who is pregnant. For some reason, it doesn't bother me when I see her. Probably because she has been so real to me through all of this. She really is a great friend, despite her faults of being pregnant. Then, this afternoon I took an icecream break with one of the athletic teams here at work.

Okay, that's all for today. Just looking for a little advice. TIA.

4 comments:

Roxanne said...

I was told that there was at least one anti-depressant that was safe for pregnancy. I don't know which one it was. I don't think it's necessarily ideal, but I think it is a balancing act between what you can handle. Kinda like a billion ultrasounds...maybe not great but neither is so much stress. I think I would definitely make an appointment with a pyschiatrist then. They are the ones who will give you the meds. I would really like some happy pills myself. :)

Susie said...

Welbutrin is considered safe for pregnancy (one of my best friends is still on it now at 22 weeks) and my doctor prescribed it to me after my first miscarriage, and said it would not be a problem if I got pregnant again. (I had taken it before, during a bout of depression during grad school.) It works well for me. But there may be other pills that are safe during pregnancy.

I would agree with other commenters who suggest that therapy would help as well. I know living in a small town makes it hard, but when you are ready for it I think it will give you some other options. I was already seeing a therapist (very intermittently) before I started having miscarriages, so I stayed with her and I was very glad I had her.

One of the best parts, to me, was that even when I got sick of talking to my friends about it (and got sick of feeling guilty about making them listen to the same stuff over and over), I never felt bad about going back over stuff obsessively with her. After all, I was paying her. Having that outlet helped me a lot.

Susie
www.notahabit.blogspot.com

Kate said...

I took Wellbutrin XL through out my pregnancy. I think Zoloft might be safe during pregnancy as well.

Carolyn Tucker, MA, LAPC said...

Holly-

Omega 3 fatty acids (fish oils) are considered as effective as antidepressants at a high dose (up to 4 gms daily). I have found them very effective and as a plus they help build your uterine lining and fight against any clotting problems or immune responses that might interfere with ttc. That and walking daily helped me thru my mid pregnancy last year I lost the baby due to a cord accident. So sad. I am on them again due to my miscarraige last week. God Bless! Rose