Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Shower power

Well, I made it through my friend's shower on sunday. It wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't even really focus on myself, I was too busy running around trying to get everything just so for her. Honestly, I like my friend so much; I'm happy for her that she made it through her pregnancy unscathed thus far. As I've said before, it's the people that I don't know that are pg that I can't tolerate. For my little circle of friends, I have proved to be genuinely happy for them and hoping that their babies are healthy. I wouldn't wish what I've gone through on anyone that I care about. I wonder what they think when they look at me? Probably pity. That seems to be the general consensus.

One of my friends had her baby. I'm going to visit her tomorrow...note I didn't say the baby. I'm not sure I'm going to hold it. I just wouldn't be right. I'm not ready. Probably won't be ready until my own child - despite the forced child holding of an older child a few weeks ago. This baby is a newborn...she is potentially the size, age, etc. at the exact same time that Isaac should be. Thankfully, my friend is so understanding. She actually mentioned the other day on the phone that it is probably bittersweet for us. She totally gets the fact that this is difficult for us and that we are meant to be right there with her. I appreciate that so much. She really is a great friend...she'll probably even understand that I don't want to hold her kid. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I'm 4 DPO today and counting. No true signs of pregnancy yet. Boobs had a twinge of soreness yesterday, although any boob would be sore if you squeezed it hard enough. I've had an upset stomach - not like last time. More queasy, like I'm going to have diarrhea. Last time it felt like a vast emptiness that I just had to fill or I would be sick. I did smell the celery that my friend was eating today when I entered the room - and it was in a ziploc bag. Probably too soon to tell anything yet. I hate this time. The time that I will need to test, we'll be in Indiana. We're leaving on sunday to go to a conference. Conveniently, I'm also from Indiana. So, we are making a visit out of it. I guess we'll be staying in a hotel, so technically I could test. Ugh, I drive myself crazy.

EDD is on sunday. I'm a little nervous for the emotions that day may bring. More than anything, I miss what should have been immensely. Our Isaac is missing out on so much in life. He deserves better. He did deliver to me my first firefly of the summer last night. I was standing outside with the dog, enjoying the warm evening and the stars (we live in the country). Then the field next to our house lit up with them...sure maybe he didn't deliver them. But I like to think that he's sending me messages because I enjoyed that so much. He brings joy and sorrow to me every day.

7 comments:

Anna said...

Good for you for being able to go to the shower. I have been invited to one and can't make myself go. :( I also have a friend that delivered a few days before my EDD (June 1) and I just can't handle even hearing about him. I know its hard...I can't imagine your pain, and I won't even pretend to. Just know I'm here, and I'm thinking of you. I know this weekend will be hard, so I'm going to be praying for you if that's OK. ((((((((Hugs))))))))

Roxanne said...

Holly,
You are so brave! I wish I could be that brave. And kind. So kind too.

I have to agree with Ann. The buildup was worse than the actual day. I would try to do something either fun or meaningful or both and maybe that will help it.

Julie said...

I agree with the other girls, the build up is almost always worse then the day itself. I really hope that's the case for you. I think he sent those fireflies too. Funny because we stood outside watching them too last night, and I said they were from Caleb. (((hugs)))

laura said...

i'm so proud of you, holly.

Anam Cara said...

Holly, I am amazed that you coped so well at your friend's shower. Luckily we don't have showers here in the UK, because even now, 15 months after Thomas'death I still have a hard time around pregnant women and babies. I have declined going to a Christening next month because I just don't want to be around all the
"happiness" surrounding the event.
You are an inspriration to me.

Lots of love this week which I know will be a difficult one for you.
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Susie said...

Holly, it sounds like you are really taking care of yourself and that you are very aware of your needs right now. I think that's awesome. I'm glad the shower went well and I know it must have felt good to be able to do that for your friend, it was a very brave and loving thing to do. I'm glad it was easier than you expected.

I hope you and your husband will be able to comfort each other on the EDD... I know it will be hard to handle no matter what. Just reading your posts, I am so sad for what you have lost, but also so glad for the love that you feel for Isaac still. My mom once said to me after one of my miscarriages, "This was someone we never got to meet in person, but someone that we will always love," and it was so true.

I am thinking of you.

susie
notahabit

Jillian said...

What a generous and strong spirit you have. You are so inspirational. You deserved to have all those beautiful fireflies sent to you from your precious boy. I'll also be thinking of you Sunday.