Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Conversations

I've had three conversations in the past two weeks that have gotten under my skin. All have focussed around when we're going to start a family. For instance, I got a haircut last week. The conversation with HairDresser (HD) goes like this:

HD: So, what's new with you? You're expecting aren't you?
me: No, actually we lost our little one in January. It was a boy.
HD: (completely uncomfortable now, way to go) Oh, I'm sorry. I had no idea.

Now, let's say that she found out that I'm pregnant in say November (Let's be honest, I haven't been pregnant for two months now), wouldn't I be showing more by now? I mean the girl who told her is due the week before my EDD in June. Obviously she's showing, why ask me? I know she had no idea, it just caught me off guard. People are clueless.

Another example, the pushy salesman of the timeshare presentation that we had to go to in florida - 'Holly, when are you going to start a family? Oh, come on! Kids are great, you mean to say that you and your husband aren't ready? Times just not right or what? Wow, I can't wait to have kids, I can't imagine not wanting them right away.' I mean come on, give me a break. My eight year old nephew was making googly eyes at me because he didn't know what to say when she's being pushy. He kept his lips zipped, which I appreciate.

People just shouldn't ask. I have learned my lesson for the future

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh Holly.

That's not a good situation to be in - I had someone over the weekend ask me too. Hello?! Any pregnant woman almost due is going to be showing, so why do they ask?! I don't get it. It's hard. I'm sorry you had to go through that - hopefully you won't again for awhile.

And welcome home :)

Hugs,
Amanda