Monday, April 03, 2006

The 10 pound turkey

So at the US last week, it was confirmed. We are going to have a big baby. I knew this was a possiblity, DH and I both have a family history of big babies. DH was 8pounds, 2ounces...I was 8pounds, 8ounces. I was just hoping to avoid that. It appears that is not the case, last week at 36W, 4D the baby measured 8 pounds, 5ounces on US. Needless to say, we still have three weeks left. Oh my God! I have to get this baby out of me. Tomorrow morning, they are going to strip my membranes in hopes to stir things up. I'm hoping this will start the labor process and I'll be holding our new baby boy by this time next week. Wish us luck. Cervix was favorable, anterior, soft, 25% effaced last week. I've been walking and bouncing on the birthing ball in hopes to progress things along. We'll know more tomorrow. I still feel him in my ribs alot, so I'm thinking he hasn't dropped yet. He is head down, thankfully. Okay, I'm hot and tired. I need to go put my feet up. We went to a wedding in DC this weekend and I still haven't recovered.

6 comments:

Muddystingbee said...

Hang in there, Holly! You might be surprised - I've heard that ultrasound is pretty unreliable at guessing the weight this far along. (This just happened to my brother's wife - they did an ultrasound at the point you're at now and said the baby was already 8 lbs, but when she was born two weeks later she was only 8 lbs, 1 oz.)

I can't believe you're almost there!

laura said...

wow! i can't believe it's time! best of luck to all of you!

Kate said...

Oh my! That's a BIG baby! But, like NervousKitty said, U/S can be unreliable. At 33 weeks, Brody was measured at 4 lbs, when he was born 5 days later, he weighed 6 lbs.

Come baby, come on!

Roxanne said...

Yeah!!!! Almost here!!!!

Ditto on the possibly unreliable ultrasound...or maybe not. Gideon measured 8 pounds the morning before I had him and he came out at 7.7...so that was pretty on target. But a friend's baby measured like 2 pounds heavier on the ultrasound. So who knows.

Amanda said...

YEY! I am so excited for you - good luck at the doctor's tomorrow. I am having an appt too and I hope they strip the membranes :) I'm thinking of you and watching for good labor news! Take care of yourself and baby!!

Jillian said...

Good luck! I hope he is just the right combination of small enough to get out and big enough to be tough:)