Saturday, May 30, 2009

Naptime Redefined

So I've been back to work this week after only 7 weeks of maternity leave. Needless to say, I've been exhausted. I tried to wean myself off of them during the last week of my maternity leave, of course that was without work. Let's just say that running around after fifth graders all week long during the day and then parenting (which entails playing, disciplining, talking, changing, reading to, and many other things) my two kids has got me a little run down. It is also the end of the year, and we have had three "end of the year" banquets/meals/picnics this week. My mom has been in town to watch the baby during the day. I've also been trying to exercise. A lot going on.
Back to the nap discussion...I was so looking forward to catching some sleep today during the kids' naps. I feel drugged, I'm so tired.
Anyway, I nurse my newborn to sleep at 12:45.
I put my three year old down for his nap at 1.
I bathe (imagine that, cleanliness) until 1:25. I lay down for a nap...aaaah.
1:32 (just as I was entering that relaxed state that leads to sleep) my cat jumps into bed and begins with his headbutt routine. By this, I mean that he walks straight into my face leading with his head and runs the entire length of his body. He does that nine straight times...sheez! Talk about a nap kill.
I throw him out of bed several times and finally convince him to snuggle with me when baby wakes up at 1:45. Naptime is not looking so promising, as she is wide awake and wants to coo with me. I really need this nap.
I lay her on her tummy and finally get her to sleep around 2:14.
I lay down and drift into dreamland at some point only to be awoken by the Fireman's Expo Siren demostration outside of my window (we live three blocks from the first station) at 3 o'clock.
Ugh. Forget it, both cats are in bed with me in addition to my newborn who has now been stirred by the sirens too. I'm just lucky that my three year old didn't wake up to add to the fun. I guess there's always tonight to catch up on sleep.

No comments: