Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I feel like Gilligan

I'm sorry for my abscence, but for once it was absolutely completely out of my control.

Devin is here...he is healthy and all is well. Born April 21, 2006 (only like 2% of babies are actually born on their due date - he's just like his father, on time). 8 pounds, 12 ounces and 23 1/4 inches long (big baby).

I had a fever during labor (ended up with a c-section after 2 1/2 hours of pushing), so they did a spinal tap and blood draw on devin as soon as he was out of the womb. Turns out that he had an elevated white blood cell count in both spinal fluid and blood. They diagnosed it as meningitis....although the cultures from both the blood and spinal fluid grew nothing. For precautionary sake, the standard course of treatment was 2 weeks of antibiotics via IV. That's where Gilligan comes in, we went into the hospital expecting a smooth delivery and recovery. It ended up being the three hour tour that never ended! We got home on Saturday and I have been cooped up ever since then. Today is my first day out...yahoo! I could check the blog, but the hospital computer wouldn't let me post. I'm sorry to keep you all hanging!! If I could figure out how, I woudl post pics. We'll see what I can muster here soon.

I hope all is well in blogland. Will check in soon now that we're home. Thanks for your concerns!!

9 comments:

Treggles said...

Congratulations Holly and Devin!

"He is healthy and all is well" sounds like an excellent situation. I'm smiling here for you. Make that grinning.

Susie said...

Holly, I'm so happy for all of you! Congratulations!!!

Muddystingbee said...

Congratulations and welcome to Devin! i'm sorry it was more complicated than you expected, but so glad that everything's OK.

laura said...

you made it! and so did devin! way to go! so happy for you all! now we need pics!

Kathy McC said...

Congratulations!!! So sorry about the fever and such...but glad all is well. (((hugs)))

Kate said...

Congratulations! It's great to finally take him home, isn't it?

Roxanne said...

Oh my goodness! I so glad that everything is okay, but sorry about the complications. I am more than delighted to hear about the arrival of Devin! Congratulations!

Julie said...

Congrats Holly!!! I have been worried!! Good to see you check in. I'm so happy for you!!

Treggles said...

Holly,

You've been gone a while... everything okay?
Do hope so.